Keeping Safe on sella
Here at sella we want to create a safe trading place for all Kiwis wishing to buy, sell or advertise their items online.
Here are some quick guides to keeping yourself safe when interacting with sella and sella members.
It is important that you have trust in the person you are completing your transaction with. sella.co.nz provides features such as feedback and verification to help you decide who you should trust online.
Money & Delivery
sella.co.nz is constantly exploring options with many of New Zealand's leading payment providers to create safe ways to complete your transactions. We recommend bank transfer and suggest you organise to have items couriered to you where possible.
For large items we recommend you meet in a public place or bring along a family member or friend.
We highly recommend, if a person is picking an item up from your house, that you have the item ready and sitting near the door. We do NOT recommend welcoming strangers into your house at any time.
NEVER SEND MONEY OVERSEAS. We do not recommend paying by Western Union, Money Gram or other cash transfer methods. If you are paying by PayPal, make sure you know the person is in New Zealand before paying.
Here at sella we take scams very seriously. We have a team dedicated to moderating, reviewing and removing scams as quickly as possible. However they still do get through from time to time.
If you spot one, there are a couple of ways you can let us know:
- Report the listing
- Contact us through our contact form
- Visit Scambusters forums and make a posting there
Spotting a scam
Scams today are getting harder and harder to spot. Here are some things to look out for:
- Is the image of the item a real photo or is it a scan from a magazine/catalogue.
- Is the user asking you to contact them on an international phone or an email address not ending in .co.nz or .com.
- Is the English in the description poor.
- Is the person overseas.
- Any mention of Romania, Nigeria or African countries notorious for scams.
- Poor Geography - "I see you are in Auckland, I'm down the road in Dunedin you could drive over to view".
- Delivery by FedEx, UPS or DHL.
- Delivery to any address outside of New Zealand.
Need support? - Call us on 0900 SELLA (0900 73552)
Our telephone support is available between 9am & 5pm Mon - Fri
Calls cost $1.99+GST a minute